Adoption, Adaptation and Pilots of Learning Analytics in Under-represented Regions
Location: Workshop Online.
Date: September 14 – 15th, 2020
Learning analytics research has made a notable progress in the last decade. However, not all the regions are using and/or researching learning analytics at the same level. Regions such as North America, Europe or Australia have developed learning analytics in a considerable way. However, in regions such as Latin America, Africa and Asia, there is a need to build local capacity to use learning analytics.
Learning analytics needs to make more progress in world regions in which research in this area is under-represented. This workshop proposal aims at presenting different works on the adoption, use, adaptation and evaluation of learning analytics in all regions considered as underrepresented in the global learning analytics community so as to enable learning by exchanging diverse experience. The proposal is in line with the conference theme of “ADDRESSING GLOBAL CHALLENGES AND QUALITY EDUCATION” since the proposal tries to improve education in under-represented regions by using learning analytics. Therefore, this workshop addresses “quality education” in a global way and contributes to sustainability of current research so that all countries can benefit the use of learning analytics and practical existing solutions can be applied in other world regions.
The objectives of this workshop are as the following:
- To learn about different initiatives about learning analytics that are currently being conducted in under-represented regions.
- To introduce the results and outcomes of the LALA European Union funded project about the adoption and adaptation of learning analytics in Latin America as well as piloting.
- Spread and discuss the knowledge about applications and experiences of learning analytics.
- Reinforce the community of Learning Analytics in under-represented regions.
- Promote networking between the learning analytics community around the world.
Planned sessions and activities:
The planned sessions and activities of the workshop are the following:
- Workshop paper presentations from an open call with a review process.
- Collaborative work for helping on the adoption of learning analytics solutions.
- Interactive demos of learning analytics tools and services.
- Presentation of the LALA project and achieved general objectives, including the LALA framework, adaptation of dashboards for counselling tools, adaptation of early dropout prediction systems and presentations of pilots.
Call for Papers
The workshop has an Open Call for Papers. Full papers (8-10 pages) are expected. Papers that address any aspect of learning analytics in under-represented regions are welcomed, including among others:
- Reviews of the state of the art of learning analytics in under-represented regions.
- Adoption of learning analytics in Higher Education Institutions.
- Adaptation of learning analytics tools for under-represented regions.
- Experiences and evaluation of learning analytics.
Submissions must follow LNCS format. The manuscripts will be evaluated by at least two members of the Program Committee. All accepted papers will be invited to make an oral presentation in the workshop. Accepted papers will be published in CEUR workshop proceedings. The manuscripts must be submitted through Easychair.
- Submission deadline: 22 Jun 2020
- Acceptance notification: 10 Jul 2020
- Workshops Online: 14 – 15th Sep 2020
- Pedro J. Muñoz-Merino, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
- Carlos Delgado Kloos, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
- Yi-Shan Tsai, The University of Edinburgh
- Dragan Gasevic, Monash University
- Katrien Verbert, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
- Mar Pérez-Sanagustín, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Université Toulouse III Paul Sabatier.
- Isabel Hilliger, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
- Miguel Ángel Zúñiga Prieto, Universidad de Cuenca
- Margarita Ortiz-Rojas, Escuela Superior Politécnica del Litoral (ESPOL)
- Eliana Scheihing, Universidad Austral de Chile